Thursday, April 2, 2009

Cruising Through Switzerland

My luck, like me, has decided to take a vacation.

My tewrip started like any other ordinary trip- I was running late to get to the station, ran to get my ticket validated, and caught the train about a minute before it left. So, you know, hectic. BUT I made the train, so my luck must be changing right (you know, new month and all that...)?

Of course not.

Shortly after the train conductor came by and I, in my uncomfortably sweaty from running with an extremely large backpack glory, handed him my nifty Eurail pass, I realized something was horribly wrong. I bought. the wrong. pass. Oh yes. Since January I had been thinking I had a 15-day in 2 month pass, which meant I could travel any 15 days in the span of 2 months, which would've covered my whole trip and then some. Turns out, I purchased a 15-day CONSECUTIVE pass, which meant my travel now ends April 15. When I am in Southern Portugal. On the other side of Europe. I won't explain all the implications of that, but it generally sucks.

Since then, my trip has been OK (knocks on wood). I made three friends my first day out- this man from Kosovo who was going to Switzerland for an interview. Apparently Kosov..ians(?) love Americans (you know, war and all), so he not only offered me food his wife prepared (2 sandwiches, an apple, some chocolate and some Fanta! I only took the Fanta since I saw him open it.), but he invited me to anywhere he and his family live to visit (he has 7 brothers and sisters). My second friend was this older Swiss lady in Zurich who I asked directions from. She ended up walking me right up to my hostel, and we spoke in German the whole way. I was proud of myself. Lastly, a French girl in my room in my hostel. We had dinner together, which was nice since I got to skip the whole eating alone thing.

This morning I woke up before the sun did and took my scenic route train from Lucerne to Interlaken to Montroux. The ride was, well, scenic. And beautiful. =) I arrived in Geneva, bought my seat to Paris tomorrow, and took a walk around. Although I didn't see much, I really like Geneva. It's centered around Lake Geneva, and anyone who knows me knows I only need a body of water to fall in love with a city.

Tomorrow: the City of Love!! Bonsoir!

2 comments:

  1. Eek! So, are you gonna have to buy another ticket?!

    I'm so happy I found your blog! I figured you were probably writing about this somewhere, but I didn't know where!

    How long are you gonna be in Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon! Girl I havent heard from you in a while!!! Glad you found my blog too. =)

    No, I'm not buying another ticket! I'm just gonna have to buy plane tickets on the way back. It looks like it's gonna cost me quite a bit but oh well, only doing this once huh?

    I'll be in Europe until early July, like the 7 or 8, although I"ll be going back to Turkey for like a week at the end of June. Are you coming over for the summer after all?? How are you??

    ReplyDelete